Professional & Technical Role
The Honourable Company has a strong commitment to the professional standards of the maritime industry. To this end, the Honourable Company’s Professional & Technical Committee, whose role is to foster active debate throughout the membership on maritime Technical issues affecting the shipping industry, is very active. This ensures the recognition of the Honourable Company as a UK based centre of excellence on such technical matters as they affect Master Mariners and to offer competent up to date advice for Master Mariners seeking guidance on maritime technical matters.
We are available for free consultations on any matter relating to the technical and professional activities of the industry and will keep an overwatch on the industry and comment on areas of interest.
We are able to undertake this role due to the significant knowledge base of our members. All full members hold, as a minimum, the highest certificate of competency, a Class 1 foreign going Master Mariner’s Certificate or equivalent if they served in the Royal Navy (CQ2-m). This “basic” knowledge is further enhanced by their experience working onboard ships and, in many cases, ashore. This represents an enormous stock of knowledge and experience which is consulted on a regular basis by outside authorities.
Furthermore we have provided oral evidence to the Transport Select Committee, lobbied on behalf of seafarers who have been imprisoned, generated guidelines on many issues and contribute to a whole range of committees within the industry.
Additionally, the Honourable Company provides expert members for specific roles within the maritime industry. These include:
- All Party Parliamentary Group for Maritime and Ports (APPMPG)
- Chirp Maritime Advisory Board
- City University MSc in Maritime Operations and Management body
- Chartered Institute of Navigation liaison
- Lloyd’s Register Technical Committee
- Livery Companies Skills Council
- Maritime and Coastguard Committees
- UK Safety of Navigation Committee
- Maritime Navigation Equipment Committee
- Human Element Advisory Group
- Certificates of Equivalent Competency
- Nautical Assessors for the Court of Appeal
- Royal Institute of Navigation liaison
- Royal Navy liaison