Benefits of Membership
The three main strands forming the basis of your membership are represented by those which underpin any livery company, namely professional representation, education and training and charitable giving. Sir John Stuttard, whilst he was Lord Mayor of the City of London, explained those roles in his remarks during the opening ceremony for World Maritime Day 2007, held onboard HQS WELLINGTON:
- Membership of a network of your peers who are similarly qualified, like-minded, professional men and women.
- Opportunities to be a member of HCMM Outports in your area of the country.
- Contributing to the wider maritime world (legislation, opinion, etc) through the “corporate” view of the HCMM, in particular by joining one of the HCMM Committees. This can include assisting regulators and outside bodies with professional and technical queries.
- Participation in the HCMM Mentoring Scheme and, thus, assisting in the professional development of young people in the industry.
- Attendance at and participation in Professional & Technical monthly Joint Informal Meetings (JIMs) held onboard WELLINGTON.
- Involvement in the governance and life of the City of London (particularly as a Liveryman).
- Participation in HCMM formal and informal events and social functions and, for Liverymen, those in the City of London.
- Access to a world class venue for meetings and conferences; affordable accommodation in the centre of London onboard WELLINGTON; use of the Wardroom bar for lunches and informal meetings with your friends, family and colleagues.
- Access to the comprehensive maritime library.
But the most important benefit is being part of a friendly and welcoming professional body that understands what it means to be a Ship’s Master.