What is the Mentoring Scheme?
Through this voluntary service, the Honourable Company offers support, encouragement, advice and assistance to the mentees as they progress through the various stages of their career.
It is widely recognized that the Honourable Company possesses a wealth of maritime seafaring knowledge together with considerable specialist expertise that can be handed down to those aspiring to be ships’ officers in the Merchant Navy.
Members and Liverymen of the Honourable Company who volunteer to become mentors are provided with information about the scheme to enable them to mentor the apprentices and associates.
The support continues as they progress with their career at sea and, possibly into the wider world of marine operations in the United Kingdom and globally, helping to preserve the heritage and traditions of the British Merchant Navy both now and into the future.
Whilst the mentoring relationship, between mentor and mentee, is fundamentally informal, the legal complexities of modern life require that the scheme exhibits a degree of formality ensuring an auditable trail that provides protection for the mentee, mentor and the Honourable Company.
The Benefits for Mentees
- another experienced person to turn to for professional advice
- support and encouragement at the most testing time in formulating your career structure and path
- technical information from the Honourable Company Journal
- access to experience in most maritime matters through the Honourable Company via your mentor
- a long term, broad and balanced vision of professional development and career options
- contacts with maritime and commercial activities beyond the immediate confines of your own ship
- introduction to the Honourable Company and good professional practice
- an introduction to the Master Mariners’ respected role in the social and city life of London
- an introduction to the charitable work of the Honourable Company and the help it can give to seafarers and their dependants.
Joining the Scheme
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, you can find more information here.
If you are interested in becoming a mentee, you can find more information here.