Incorporated by Royal Charter, we are a City of London Livery Company with membership open to British and Commonwealth Master Mariners from the Merchant and Royal Navies.
The Honourable Company of Master Mariners was founded by Sir Robert Burton-Chadwick, Bt (b. 1869 d. 1951).
Over the next five years the Honourable Company of Master Mariners, through its committee structure and the Court will continue to :
- further the standing of the Honourable Company in the wider maritime community throughout the UK.
- Increase the engagement of the Wardens and Court in the Director level of operation of the Company.
- formalise the Apprenticeship Mentoring Scheme and incorporate within the London City and Guilds structure.
- develop membership structures to enable greater career support for British Merchant Navy Officers.
- further the Company’s support for and connection with, the Lord Mayor and the City of London Corporation.
- support the preservation of the Company’s Livery Hall and the maritime educational programmes of the WELLINGTON Trust.
- encourage and maintain a high and honourable standard of ability and professional conduct in the Officers of the British Merchant Navy.
- promote and maintain in all aspects efficient and friendly cooperation between the Merchant Navy and the Royal Navy.
- be available to give advice and consultation on all questions concerning the Merchant Navy, on judicial, commercial, scientific, educational or technical matters.